Calli Christiansen, MSW, Intern
- Ensure you and your therapist mesh well together.
- The therapist is there to help you as the client change your emotions, thoughts, and behaviors for your outcomes to become more positive.
- A place of repair
- You are not broken, so therapists do not fix you.
- There is support, empowerment, and a place to provide you with skills to know more about yourself.
- Going to be diving deep in every session
- Sometimes you will come into session not wanting to talk or having no idea what to talk about, and that is okay. The therapist and you can simply have a conversation or play a game, and that is still therapy.
- Talking to someone about your day-to-day life that isn’t so much in your day-to-day life can be a release to some.
- In a certain timeframe
- The process of therapy is not linear, nor is it defined by time or age. Everyone has their own path of healing.
- Pushing medications
- Again, everyone has their own path. Medication is just one of the many options of healing.
- Therapy is integrative to what you want it to be. A good therapist will never be forceful of a process you are not comfortable with.